What is Sports Premium Grant?
The Sports Premium Grant is additional funding from the Government to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. It is also for improving the health and wellbeing of primary pupils.
How much is the Sports Premium Grant?
Allocations are calculated using the number of pupils in Years 1 to 6 and those age 5 in Reception, as recorded at the January Census as follows:
Schools with 17 or more eligible pupils receive £8,000 plus £5 per eligible pupil; and
Schools with 16 or fewer eligible pupils receive £500 per eligible pupil.
How much Sports Premium Grant is the school allocated?
The allocation of Sports Premium Grant is shown below:
How is the Sports Premium Grant be spent?
This grant is used to improve provision for all our pupils in the following ways:
- We buy into the Newark and Sherwood Sports Partnership. This gives our pupils access to inter school competitions and young leader training. It also gives staff access to training to develop their own teaching skills. (For detailed information about this, see the below link)
- Our Year 3 and Year 4 pupils access one term of swimming. We use the grant to buy into a third term as additional swimming for any of our older chidlren who need extra support to meet the expected level of skills.
- We have a Healthy School week in June. Some of this grant is used to pay for external providers to help our pupils learn about keeping healthy. This includes the Life Education Bus.
- Primary League Stars provided by Mansfield Town FC
We have a designated member of staff to co-ordinate PE in school and some of the grant is to fund release time for her to do this. This role inlcudes working with the Newark and Sherwood Sports Partnership.
What is the Impact of the Sports Premium Grant?
Sports Premium Grant has led to:
- Increased opportunities for all of our pupils to access a wider variety of PE and Sports
- Opportunity to develop the competitive element of sports and the skills of sportsmanship
- Increased opportunities for our pupils with sporting talents to train and compete with pupils with similar skills
- Developed pupil understanding of the importance of keeping fit and healthy and ways that they can improve their health and fitness.
- Pupils who are fitter, healthier and are motivated to continue to improve.
The use of the Sports Premium Grant is monitored and reviewed by Governors at their termly meetings.